Nigeria reacts to US ISIS attack as new video shows airstrike

Nigeria reacts to US ISIS attack as new video shows airstrike


Nigeria has said it is “engaged in a structured security co-operation” with international partners, including the United States, that led to “precision hits on terrorist targets” – after U.S. strikes on ISIS militants in the country.

The Nigerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs released a statement in the early hours of Boxing Day, after U.S. President Donald Trump announced the military action on Christmas.

“In line with established international practice and bilateral understandings, this cooperation includes the exchange of intelligence, strategic coordination, and other forms of support consistent with international law, mutual respect for sovereignty, and shared commitments to regional and global security,” foreign ministry spokesperson Kimiebi Imomotimi Ebienfa said.

A U.S. Department of Defense official told Newsweek that it “worked with the government of Nigeria to carry out these strikes” and posted a video on X appearing to show a missile being launched from a naval vessel.

On Thursday, Trump wrote on Truth Social: “Tonight, at my direction as Commander in Chief, the United States launched a powerful and deadly strike against ISIS Terrorist Scum in Northwest Nigeria, who have been targeting and viciously killing, primarily, innocent Christians, at levels not seen for many years, and even Centuries! I have previously warned these Terrorists that if they did not stop the slaughtering of Christians, there would be hell to pay, and tonight, there was.”

This is a developing story – more to follow



Source link

Posted in

Nathan Pine

I focus on highlighting the latest in business and entrepreneurship. I enjoy bringing fresh perspectives to the table and sharing stories that inspire growth and innovation.

Leave a Comment